Best Fertilizer Spreader – Must Read Before Selecting The Best
If a beautiful lawn surrounds your property, garden or you have fields that bring food to your table, you know how much work it takes to grow any plant successfully. For this reason, there are constant innovations in producing tools and machinery that help reduce the stress and the amount of physical work and effort one puts into this kind of work.
A fertilizer spreader is one such tool; it is a multipurpose device which can spread fertilizer, seed, lime, ice melt, and sand, both quickly and evenly. You should definitely own one, and we have, therefore, comprised a detailed guide that will help you find the best broadcast spreader currently on the market.
Classic Drop Spreader
Tow-Behind Drop Spreader
Classic Broadcast Spreader
Tow-Behind Broadcast Spreader
Types Of Fertilizer Spreaders
Hand-Held Fertilizer Spreaders
Those are the easiest to operate with but have the smallest capacity. They are ideal for smaller lawns and gardens or fixing bare spots.
Drop Fertilizer Spreaders
Those have a large capacity and operate by being pushed by a person walking behind them. Their wheels activate the mechanism that dispenses the substance being spread.
Tow-Behind Fertilizer Spreaders
Those are also wheeled but connect to a compatible vehicle such as a tractor, ATV, or riding mower. Besides having the wheels which activate the spreading mechanism by turning, they often incorporate an aerating component as well.
What To Look For When Buying A Fertilizer Spreader?
In the past, fertilizing and seeding was mostly done by hand, which meant that person doing the work had to carry heavy weight and deal with sometimes dangerous chemicals that could be inhaled or absorbed through the skin thus endangering that person' s health.
Moreover, besides all the hard work, health-risk and enormous effort put into these tasks the result would often be disappointing as the seeds, fertilizer or any other substance being distributed would be unevenly spread- excessive in some, and scarce in other parts.
Consequently, broadcast or rotary spreaders were developed and have made a huge difference thereafter. Broadcast spreaders feature a hopper with a rotating disc underneath it, which spins and scatters the fertilizer or seeds onto the ground.
As they dispense the product in an arc-shaped mode, it can be quickly and evenly spread at a 180-degree angle and over large areas up to over 10-feet far from the spreader.
Consider the capacity of the broadcast spreader
The size of your property should be the main factor when choosing the broadcast spreader and thus be sure to check the capacity of the model you are interested in. There are huge differences among different spreaders, and if you purchase a model with low capacity and have to work on a large lawn or field, you will not enjoy any advantages of this tool as you will have to refill the unit too often. Higher capacity, on the other hand, will cost you more money, so make sure that you really need it.
Is it easy to operate?
First of all consider the weight of the unit, especially if it is a hand-held model. When it comes to push and tow-behind models the most important things to consider are the tires and the stability of the unit. The tires should be pneumatic and easy to roll over any kind of terrain, especially wet one.
How quickly can you assemble the unit?
Most of the fertilizer spreader of lower capacity come pre-assembled, larger units, on the other hand, need to be assembled which can be confusing for those who are not handy with tools, but also take hours.
Take notice: Most fertilizer spreaders also allow you to simply follow the guidelines on the package eliminating all the guessing when it comes to deciding how much product you should apply over a designated amount of ground, and that was impossible with hand applying the substances.
Does it have a guard?
These devices are not perfect, unfortunately, and if one is not careful the product being spread can easily end up in the unwanted areas such as the neighboring lawn or the pavement. Better models thus often include a guard which blocks the distribution to these unwanted areas and allow you to work near the edge of your property without wasting the fertilizer.
5 Best Fertilizer Spreader Reviews
Although all the broadcast spreaders reviewed are quite different, they all have the same purpose and serve it well. However, we have to give a slight advantage to Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard Deluxe Broadcast Spreader, as it is almost faultless, highly efficient and reasonably priced.
In the end, your personal needs and preferences will influence your choice the most- and we will thus only assure you once more that whichever broadcast spreader reviewed here you choose, you will not be disappointed!
AMAZON Best Sellers: Best Fertilizer Spreaders
Real Time Updates
- How to Use:Turn rate control to correct setting listed on the back of each Scotts product. Spreader width is 5 feet so allow a few feet in between passes to ensure even distribution. When Edgeguard is engaged it will block off right side of spreader pattern to prevent product from spreading onto non-lawns areas.
- With Scotts Exclusive Edge Guard Technology. Control panel with precision rate settings for more accurate coverage
- Premium pneumatic tires make pushing easier
- Holds up to 18,000 square feet of Scotts lawns products
- Calibrated and ready to use
- Features Scotts exclusive EdgeGuard Technology
- Designed to ensure superior results when used with Scotts lawn food
- Holds up to 5,000 sq. ft. of Scotts lawn products
- Calibrated and ready to use
- Fully assembled
- Features Scotts exclusive Edge Guard and Handy Lock Technologies
- Year-round spreader - Feed, Seed, Weed, Melt
- Holds up to 2,500 sq. ft. of Scotts lawn care products
- Battery-powered 5 ft. broadcast spreader
- Great for small yards
- Fully assembled
- Great for applying seed, ice melt or other granular products on small areas
- Holds up to 1,000 sq. ft of Scotts® lawn products
- Pack of 2, Adjustable hole size gives you the option to calibrate output,perfect for all de-ice and melting products
- Providing a superior grip for any challenge encountered
- The handheld spreader can store 2 L or 76 oz, and you can measure the substance with the grade marks on the bottom
- Easy to use, fill shaker with salt , sand, Fertilizer, diatomaceous earth and much more
- Handheld Spreader Shaker for Seeds, Salt, Fertilizer, diatomaceous earth, Deicing, Ice Melt etc.