5 Fantastic Choices For The Best Garden Hose
Gardening season is on its way, even if you have two feet of snow in your front yard. It is never too early to plan and purchase the needed supplies. The best garden hose is a crucial tool for any gardener. You want it to have all the necessary features, and it shouldn’t break your bank. Luckily, the market holds plenty of fabulous options.
- The Best Lightweight Hose – Miracle Gro Ultra Lite Hose
- The Best Flat Hose - Gilmour Flexogen Super Duty Hose ½ Inch x 50 Feet
- The Best Heavy Duty Hose - NeverKink 8844-75 Series 4000 Commercial Duty Pro Garden Hose 5/8 inch by 75 Feet
- The Best Expandable Hose - Triple Layer Latex Core by Golden Spearhead
- The Best Drinking Water Safe Hose - Camco 22853 Premium Drinking Water Hose
Important Features When Buying the Best Garden Hose
The Length of the Hose
You can purchase hoses in various lengths – 25, 50, 75, or 100 feet. It might seem like a great idea to buy longer than you need, but that isn’t the best idea. The longer the hose, the more it will cost you. Longer hoses also are heavier and require more storage space.
You may not think this number is important, but it will help determine your water flow. ¾ inch, five-eighths, and half an inch are the most common choices for diameter. The bigger the diameter, the more water it will carry. Five-eighths is an excellent, all-around functional choice because you get the right amount of water flow without being too heavy to drag throughout your garden.
While shopping, you will encounter two common materials used for garden hoses – rubber and vinyl. Some companies also use a combination of the two for their products. Vinyl hoses are cheaper, but they aren’t sturdy. Rubber hoses are stronger and meant to last for years. However, these hoses are heavier and expensive. You can also purchase a composite hose for a middle-of-the-road option.
Hose couplings are at the end, and they attach to sprinklers, nozzles, and spigots. Cheap hoses come with plastic couplings. It is best to avoid these! They break, crack and rarely tighten all of the way. Metal couplings are the way to go. You can find them in brass and chrome plated. Cast brass is durable and leak-resistant. Octagon shaped ones are easy to tighten. Remember to avoid plastic.
Type of Garden Hoses
There are a few types of garden hoses. Before you start your search, here is what you should know.
Lightweight or Light Duty Hoses: Hoses that are made from vinyl don’t weigh as much. However, these hoses also kink easily, have plastic couplings, and have thinner diameters. Pick a lightweight hose if you are on a budget, need a hose 50 feet or less, have lower water pressure or only need it from time to time.
Flat Hoses: Think of a hose a firefighter may use. They are flat when empty, but they're found when full of water. These hoses are lightweight, easy to store and self-drain. You will need a hose reel to store the hose properly. Flat hoses are perfect if you have space issues and need something that is easy to store. Also, if you use it in a straight line, they are a good option.
Expendable Hoses: If you spend any time watching TV, you probably have noticed commercials for scrunched up hoses. They can expand three times their length when filled with water. These hoses are lightweight, easy to store and have decent water flow. However, they are prone to rupturing.
Drinking Water Safe Hoses: Are your animals going to drink water from the hose? You want to make sure it won’t give them any harmful chemicals. On the label, it will state “drinking water safe” or “lead-free” and don’t contain any toxic chemicals that may be dangerous for humans.
Soaker Hoses: are perforated to allow water to seep through the hose, providing water to plants slowly without wasting water as a result of water runoff, evaporation or over spray, which are common problems with sprinkler systems.
5 Best Garden Hose Reviews
1. The Best Flat Hose
Gilmour Flexogen is a trusted brand of hoses that are known for high-quality, durability and kink resistance. The hose is built to last for years, ideal for the long-term gardener. It has 500 PSI burst strength, guaranteeing it will give you years of use. Gilmour used a double polyester cord reinforcement to make the hose even stronger.
Another reason this hose is great is the crush resistant, heavy duty metal couplings. There is an integrated O-ring for a tight seal. The Flow Guard Plus helps to resist kinks at the faucet. Gilmour added foam and nylon knit wrap layers around the house. This particular hose is 50 feet long, and it has an anti-microbial layer that stops the growth of mold and mildew. Gilmour has a lifetime warranty included.
2. The Best Expandable Hose
If you are looking for an expandable garden hose, Golden Spearhead makes one of the best-selling choices. There are two lengths available – 50 and 75 feet. Both come with a five-month money back guarantee. All you need is a faucet with normal water pressure. The hose will expand up to 50 (75) feet. The material is flexible and durable. When empty, the hose weighs just a little over one pound.
The hose uses a strong, brass connectors. They are heat and corrosive resistant, perfect for storage outside. They are designed to resistant any cracking or fading, and the plastic fittings don’t leak. Customers rave about the durability and how well it works. The hose rarely kinks and works for frequent users. It is a great price as well – less than $40.
3. The Best Drinking Water Safe Hose
Some people prefer to have a drinking hose, especially if you have animals or children who enjoy playing in a sprinkler or with the hose. The Camco hose is 20 percent thicker than your standard garden hose. You can purchase the Camco Premium is four lengths – 10, 25, 35 or 50 feet. All of the hoses are safe for drinking water. They are lead-free, BPA-free, phthalate free and won’t leave a nasty plastic taste in your mouth.
All of the hoses are 5/8 inch in diameter for the perfect, high water flow. Camco reinforced the hose for maximum kink resistance. For the couplings, it is made with heavy-duty nickel plated brass to prevent any leaks and cracks. Camco is certified to NSF/ANSI 372 that guarantees that they compile with all Federal and State level Low Lead Laws. Also, the price isn’t high; you won’t pay more than $30!
4. The Best Lightweight Hose
Any gardener knows the brand Miracle Gro. They make nearly everything that a gardener could use. The Ultra Lite garden hose is ultra-lightweight and compact. It is an excellent choice for patios or decks. Miracle Gro used a unique material that is durable and won’t kink because of their patented Hose Armour. The compound will help the hose lay straight and helps ease the burden of uncoiling. The Ultra Lite is 50 feet in length, perfect for most yards or garden beds.
Miracle-Gro uses crush-resistant couplings. The material is lead-free aluminum that can reduce the chance of breaking or cracking. They designed the hose to last for years. It has a burst strength of 400 PSI. Miracle Gro added heavyweight reinforcement to the high-pressure areas for extra strength and durability.
The Ultra Lite meets the lead-free standard set under the federal Safe Drinking Water Act. You can drink directly from this hose if you are outside, and you can use it for your animals. Another nice feature is the limited lifetime warranty. They created this best garden hose in the USA and intended it to work for long-term gardeners.
5. The Best Heavy Duty Hose
As you can tell by the name, this garden hose is guaranteed not to kink or tangle. NeverKink uses a patented technology called Non-Torsion System (NTS). It is a transparent strip that runs the entire length of the hose. This solution seems simple, but it virtually stops any kinking you may experience. You never have to worry about tangles or twists that stop water flow.
NeverKink uses heavy-duty, lead-free aluminum couplings that won’t rust or corrode. They are crush proof up to 1,400 pounds! That is an impressive feature. Another nice feature is the flexibility. You can use it up to 45 degrees downward. They included a shield that prevents the growth of mold and mildew. If you are looking for a long, heavy-duty garden hose, the NeverKink might be ideal; it will never kink!
These are five fantastic choices for the best garden hose. If you are looking for an expandable hose, Golden Spearhead’s hose can expand up to 50 or 75 feet. NeverKink is ideal for gardeners who spend a good portion of their year in their garden beds. You might also consider the Miracle Gro hose if you need space or want a lightweight choice.
Remember to look at the type of hose you want and look for the features you desire. There is a garden hose for everyone!
AMAZON Best Sellers: Best Garden Hose
Real Time Updates
- 【9 FUNCTIONAL SAFETY NOZZLE】: 10% discount for all customers. Compared to most 8 pattern hose nozzle, our water nozzle with 9 pattern for more choices. The rubberized outer coating is non-slip and comfortable. Rotating bezel for easy choosing kind of spray. Buckle stent for uninterrupted use. Ergonomic handgrip for effortless operation. You can feel the quality the instant you pick up the garden hose.
- 【HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS GARDEN HOSE】: The water hose uses a high-density double-layer latex core and a powerful 3750D polyester fabric cover to prevent breakage and leakage. It can withstand water pressure 3-12 Bar and temperature 41℉-113℉. This garden hose for long-term use. You don't have to worry about the water pipes being broken by the pressure of the water even in winter.
- 【SOLID 3/4IN BRASS CONNECTORS】: The 50ft hose comes with solid 3/4 inches brass connectors, they will not rust, leak or crack, and this garden hose design for long-term use. With the correct adapter you can hook it up to your kitchen faucet. If your kitchen faucet has a thread size of 3/4 inches, you can connect the hose without additional adapters.
- 【INCREDIBLE EXPANDING DESIGN】: Our garden hose flexible expands from 17 feet to 50 feet length. This garden hose can expand 3 times to its original hose length when water pressure is on, and shrinks to original pipe length in minutes when it's off. 50ft long can cover your whole garden, you can make the watering simple and efficient. We will send you a pocket to store it. Just drain water from the hose when not in use, put in the bag and store it in a cool and dry place.
- 【WIDE APPLICATIONS AND SATISFACTORY WARRANTY】: Perfect for many applications including house/car/floor/yard washing, garden watering, pet cleaning, having fun or business use. If you find any problems during the use, please contact us as soon as possible, we will provide you with a satisfactory solution. We provide a 90-day full refund money back guarantee and a 1 YEAR FREE NEW REPLACEMENT service. ONLY SOLD BY Gardguard, AND SHIPPED BY AMAZON.
- Guaranteed Not to Kink or Tangle
- Heavy Gauge Power Coil
- Industrial Strength Lead-Free Aluminum Couplings Leak & Crush-proof
- Contains Microshield to Prevent Mold and Mildew
- Remains Flexible Down to 45 degrees
- Lawn & Patio