The 5 Best Mosquito Traps For Your Yard And Garden – Read This Before Buying
Summer is here, and that means mosquitos are out in full force. To enjoy your time outside, picking the best mosquito trap makes you feel more comfortable and gets rid of those pesky insects. There are dozens of different mosquito traps on the market, and their effectiveness, power, and coverage area all differ.
A swarm of mosquitos can turn any outdoor event into a disaster or turn your dinner outside into misery. While it is hard to control mosquitos, these traps can help you manage the invasion. While we do pick our choice for the best mosquito trap, any of these five choices will serve you well.
What You Should Consider When Buying a Mosquito Trap
First, you should consider the area size you want the trap to cover. You might need more than one trap to cover your property. Determining area size also means you should look at their breeding sites and locations.
Most mosquito traps work best in a small area, which means some are not designed for a large, heavily infested backyard. To cover that area, you will need more traps to ensure you capture all of those pesky insects. Make sure you read the description of the trap and look at the manufacturer’s recommended area of coverage. Some traps claim to cover around 1.5 acres, and others only cover the area of a small patio.
Are there any safety hazards you should worry about if you place this trap in your yard? Traps that use propane generate CO2, heat, and moisture to attract the mosquitos to the treat. Propane does pose a fire hazard, so appropriate steps must be taken to negate these hazards. If you have children running around on your property, traps that don’t rely on propane have a lower safety concern.
Everyone considers the initial purchase cost of an item, but you have to consider the price to keep the trap running when you buy a mosquito trap. Some traps use propane tanks, and some could finish a tank in three to four weeks. Purchasing refills can be costly!
The other option is an electronic trap. These mosquito traps are cheaper to maintain and use, and most operate on a 12-volt system that uses less electricity than a standard light bulb in a lamp. Another great feature that reduces running cost is a programmable timer. These timers activate the trap during the peak mosquito hours throughout the day.
How soon does the trap start to work once you set it up in the right area? Some start working immediately, but that doesn’t mean they will trap all of the mosquitoes without hours or days. Most traps take six to eight weeks of continuous use to decrease the mosquito population in the area dramatically. Knowing this allows you to plan appropriately when to start using the trap, such as if you plan a backyard barbeque soon.
Type of Mosquito in the Area
Did you know there are over 3,000 different species of mosquitos in the world? Each species has different preferences, so you have to consider the species that is causing the problem. Select a mosquito trap that optimizes these conditions and will capture the maximum amount of mosquitos.
Mosquito Trap Placement
The last thing you should consider is the trap placement required to make that particular trap as effective as you need. Wind speeds and directions matter when placing your traps in certain locations. You might want to place several traps in different settings, which ensures more mosquitos are caught.
Most traps are meant for outdoor use only because they use CO2 gas plumes, propane, and other chemicals. If you want to use a trap inside, make sure you find one that specifically states it is for indoor placement! Indoor mosquito traps work well inside a small area, such as an enclosed porch, where they will catch a limited amount of insects. It is a short-term solution, but these traps tend to be cheap, portable and rely on light and heat to trap the mosquitos.
The 5 Best Mosquito Traps Reviews
All five of these traps are great, but our top pick is the Flowtron BK-40W. We love the maintenance-free design that costs pennies to operate. Despite the noisy operation, the Flowtron offers an acre of coverage, making it worth the zaps. Plus, the price isn’t too high.
AMAZON Best Sellers: Best Mosquito Traps
Real Time Updates
- Protects up to 1/2 Acre
- Durable all-weather construction.
- Pesticide and odor free.
- Whisper quiet operation.
- No zapping or buzzing. No expensive attractant or propane required.
- Advanced electronic insect control; non clogging killing grid; 1/2-acre killing radius, requires plug.
- Recommended not to be used within 25-feet of area intended for human activity, should not be attached to house or deck or other structures
- Instantaneous operation, continuous and uninterrupted service, Uses a 15-watt bulb.
- For best results replace the cartridge every 30 days, Please refer User manual for troubleshooting and its corrections
- Recommended for areas up to 1/2 acre - Outdoor Use Only
- A Bigger Design For A Bigger Catch. This Dynatrap Insect Trap Attracts And Kills Mosquitos
- And Other Flying Insects Across 1 Acre. Attract; Trap And Kill Flying Insects Including
- Mosquitos; Biting Flies; Asian Beetles; Wasps; Hornets; Yellow Jackets; Moths; Stink Bugs
- And More! This Insect Trap Is Engineered For 3-way Protection. First; A UV Fluorescent Bulb
- Generates A Warm Light; Attracting Insects. Then A Second Lure; An Exclusive Ti02 Titani
- INSTANT INSECT ATTRACTION & ELIMINATION: This bug zapper emits a 365 nm wavelength, which has been scientifically proven to be highly attractive to insects, as it falls within their natural viewing wavelength. As flies, mosquitoes and any other flying insect can't resist approaching the light source, they get immediately zapped.
- POWERFUL 2800V GRID: This is by far the STRONGEST insect zapper on the market. Dare to compare with our competitors' weaker and ineffective zappers. LiBa's insect killer is guaranteed to wipe out all harmful flying pests and keep you from spending another penny on insect repellents or other insect pest control products
- NATURAL, CHEMICAL-FREE PEST CONTROL: Stop exposing your family and yourself to harmful chemicals. This electric zapper is the perfect chemical-free pest control alternative, safe to use in every indoor setting with a heavy flying pest infestation problem.
- IDEAL FOR ALL INDOOR ENVIRONMENTS: Exceptionally safe and secure to use in every home area as well as hospitals, workplace areas, commercial spaces such as restaurant kitchens, warehouses and retail stores. Not for outdoor use.
- 100% SATISFACTION & MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE: We vouch for our electric zapper's efficiency and durability. Each of our insect zappers is backed by an outstanding 36-Month Warranty Policy. In the unlikely event you are dissatisfied with your purchase, you are free to return it to us within the first 90 days and receive a FULL refund. Click Buy Now And Get The Best Insect Electric Zapper On Amazon!
- Silent trap emits carbon dioxide, heat and moisture to attract and capture mosquitoes and other biting insects like midges, black flies and no-see-ums
- Coverage area up to 1-acre - Outdoor use only
- Plug-in trap starts working immediately and you see results in 7 to 10 days
- Operate the odorless trap continuously to break mosquitoes breeding cycle
- Note: propane tank is not included