The 5 Best Mosquito Traps For Your Yard And Garden – Read This Before Buying
Summer is here, and that means mosquitos are out in full force. To enjoy your time outside, picking the best mosquito trap makes you feel more comfortable and gets rid of those pesky insects. There are dozens of different mosquito traps on the market, and their effectiveness, power, and coverage area all differ.
A swarm of mosquitos can turn any outdoor event into a disaster or turn your dinner outside into misery. While it is hard to control mosquitos, these traps can help you manage the invasion. While we do pick our choice for the best mosquito trap, any of these five choices will serve you well.
What You Should Consider When Buying a Mosquito Trap
First, you should consider the area size you want the trap to cover. You might need more than one trap to cover your property. Determining area size also means you should look at their breeding sites and locations.
Most mosquito traps work best in a small area, which means some are not designed for a large, heavily infested backyard. To cover that area, you will need more traps to ensure you capture all of those pesky insects. Make sure you read the description of the trap and look at the manufacturer’s recommended area of coverage. Some traps claim to cover around 1.5 acres, and others only cover the area of a small patio.
Are there any safety hazards you should worry about if you place this trap in your yard? Traps that use propane generate CO2, heat, and moisture to attract the mosquitos to the treat. Propane does pose a fire hazard, so appropriate steps must be taken to negate these hazards. If you have children running around on your property, traps that don’t rely on propane have a lower safety concern.
Everyone considers the initial purchase cost of an item, but you have to consider the price to keep the trap running when you buy a mosquito trap. Some traps use propane tanks, and some could finish a tank in three to four weeks. Purchasing refills can be costly!
The other option is an electronic trap. These mosquito traps are cheaper to maintain and use, and most operate on a 12-volt system that uses less electricity than a standard light bulb in a lamp. Another great feature that reduces running cost is a programmable timer. These timers activate the trap during the peak mosquito hours throughout the day.
How soon does the trap start to work once you set it up in the right area? Some start working immediately, but that doesn’t mean they will trap all of the mosquitoes without hours or days. Most traps take six to eight weeks of continuous use to decrease the mosquito population in the area dramatically. Knowing this allows you to plan appropriately when to start using the trap, such as if you plan a backyard barbeque soon.
Type of Mosquito in the Area
Did you know there are over 3,000 different species of mosquitos in the world? Each species has different preferences, so you have to consider the species that is causing the problem. Select a mosquito trap that optimizes these conditions and will capture the maximum amount of mosquitos.
Mosquito Trap Placement
The last thing you should consider is the trap placement required to make that particular trap as effective as you need. Wind speeds and directions matter when placing your traps in certain locations. You might want to place several traps in different settings, which ensures more mosquitos are caught.
Most traps are meant for outdoor use only because they use CO2 gas plumes, propane, and other chemicals. If you want to use a trap inside, make sure you find one that specifically states it is for indoor placement! Indoor mosquito traps work well inside a small area, such as an enclosed porch, where they will catch a limited amount of insects. It is a short-term solution, but these traps tend to be cheap, portable and rely on light and heat to trap the mosquitos.
The 5 Best Mosquito Traps Reviews
All five of these traps are great, but our top pick is the Flowtron BK-40W. We love the maintenance-free design that costs pennies to operate. Despite the noisy operation, the Flowtron offers an acre of coverage, making it worth the zaps. Plus, the price isn’t too high.
AMAZON Best Sellers: Best Mosquito Traps
Real Time Updates
- Not approved for sale thus cannot ship to CT, NM, or SD. Required to cancel ALL orders to CT, NM, or SD.
- ONCE MOSQUITO SEASON HAS STARTED, you need at least TWO BOXES PER ACRE in order to catch up and be effective for your first deployment.
- ERADICATE UP TO 95% OF YOUR MOSQUITOES IN ABOUT 15 DAYS. Be safe this summer. Help protect your kids and the family pet with effective, long-term mosquito control. Take back your lawns, yards, and pond the Spartan way!
- THIS IS NOT A TRAP. ERADICATORS BEGIN TO WORK IMMEDIATELY when properly prepared and deployed. They are more effective than mosquito zappers and ineffective mosquito killer solutions. Spartan Mosquito Eradicators are a long-term prevention solution unlike common treatments: ultrasonic pest repellant products, anti-mosquito shield devices, attractant or mosquito control products, mosquito traps, repel lights, portable bait killers, and deterrent sticks.
- DON'T PAY MORE THAN MSRP OF 24.95 PER BOX INCLUDING SHIPPING
- UNIQUE DESIGN: Built to withstand heavier weight, has a wider center area to fit all different size of furniture, high quality will not break after a short amount of time. Aspectek Interceptors are strong & will last longer.
- WHAT IT IS: Instead of using home made solutions that do not work such as apple cider vinegar, dish soap, old wine , or other cheap glue traps at the home goods stores, try Eon Luxe today. Our innovative solution has zero odor, is chemical free, and guaranteed to trap the pesky house offenders.
- HOW IT WORKS: Our trap works in 3 easy steps: The UV light attracts the bugs, the fan captures the bug, and the no-escape sticky glue board traps the bug.
- WORKS BEST ON: No see ums (AKA noseeums or drain flies), small mosquitoes, fruit flies, gnats / knats. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR: large flying insects or crawling insects such as bees, stink bugs, house flies, moths, ladybugs, etc...
- CUSTOMERS' FAVORITE USES: place unit near fishbowl or fish tank, indoor plants and herbs, lizard and reptile enclosures, near sink, and on kitchen counter.
- GLUE PADS INCLUDED: this product comes prepackaged with 6 glue boards, which lasts about 6 months in the fall/winter, or approximately 3 - 4 months in the spring/summer. (you may have to replace more frequently if you use this in a business setting such as a smoothie or acai shop, a restaurant bar, or ice cream shop, etc...) If you own one of these businesses please contact us for a special discount on the refill pads.
- 3-way protection against mosquitoes and other flying insects
- Extra-large size with UV light designed to catch even more insects
- Powerful, whisper-quiet fan traps insects without zapping or buzzing
- Extended coverage up to 1 acre; durable all-weather insect trap for use indoors and outdoors; plugs into standard 110-volt outlet
- Mosquito trap uses no pesticides or chemicals; requires no attractant or propane
- 🦟ADVANCED 2-IN-1 BUG ZAPPER AND ATTRACTANT. Keep insects at bay with the US-tested mosquito killer + additional reusable non-toxic attractant to boost work efficiency. A 20W high-intensity ultraviolet lamp attracts all flying insects to the mosquito zapper, instantly killing them with the help of an internal electric grid.
- 🦟2100 SQ. FT. COVERAGE WITH POWERFUL NON-CLOGGING GRID. Impressive 2100 sq. ft. (½ acre) coverage and 4200V grid with 3-4 times higher power than alternative bug zappers have provide reliable and effective indoor and backyard bug control.
- 🦟NATURE-FRIENDLY AND SAFE FOR PEOPLE AND PETS. Meet the fly zapper with no chemicals, insecticides and harmful sprays: only the effect of current, which electrocutes mosquitoes upon contact. The internal grid is reliably fenced with a plastic housing to prevent accidental contact.
- 🦟EASY-TO-CLEAN, RAINPROOF AND DURABLE. Rain or sunshine, your mosquito magnet operates without interruptions. Remove insect debris once a week: just pull out the collection tray and get rid of them. Convenient bonus brush makes cleaning even easier and faster.
- 👍MAXIMUM CONVENIENCE AND 27/4 SUPPORT. Enjoy simple installation: just place the electric bug killer on a flat surface or hang it with a convenient ring: the distance to the outlet does not matter with a long 4 ft. (47 inch) power cord. If you have any questions, you can always contact 24/7 customer support.