The 5 Best Mosquito Traps For Your Yard And Garden – Read This Before Buying
Summer is here, and that means mosquitos are out in full force. To enjoy your time outside, picking the best mosquito trap makes you feel more comfortable and gets rid of those pesky insects. There are dozens of different mosquito traps on the market, and their effectiveness, power, and coverage area all differ.
A swarm of mosquitos can turn any outdoor event into a disaster or turn your dinner outside into misery. While it is hard to control mosquitos, these traps can help you manage the invasion. While we do pick our choice for the best mosquito trap, any of these five choices will serve you well.
What You Should Consider When Buying a Mosquito Trap
First, you should consider the area size you want the trap to cover. You might need more than one trap to cover your property. Determining area size also means you should look at their breeding sites and locations.
Most mosquito traps work best in a small area, which means some are not designed for a large, heavily infested backyard. To cover that area, you will need more traps to ensure you capture all of those pesky insects. Make sure you read the description of the trap and look at the manufacturer’s recommended area of coverage. Some traps claim to cover around 1.5 acres, and others only cover the area of a small patio.
Are there any safety hazards you should worry about if you place this trap in your yard? Traps that use propane generate CO2, heat, and moisture to attract the mosquitos to the treat. Propane does pose a fire hazard, so appropriate steps must be taken to negate these hazards. If you have children running around on your property, traps that don’t rely on propane have a lower safety concern.
Everyone considers the initial purchase cost of an item, but you have to consider the price to keep the trap running when you buy a mosquito trap. Some traps use propane tanks, and some could finish a tank in three to four weeks. Purchasing refills can be costly!
The other option is an electronic trap. These mosquito traps are cheaper to maintain and use, and most operate on a 12-volt system that uses less electricity than a standard light bulb in a lamp. Another great feature that reduces running cost is a programmable timer. These timers activate the trap during the peak mosquito hours throughout the day.
How soon does the trap start to work once you set it up in the right area? Some start working immediately, but that doesn’t mean they will trap all of the mosquitoes without hours or days. Most traps take six to eight weeks of continuous use to decrease the mosquito population in the area dramatically. Knowing this allows you to plan appropriately when to start using the trap, such as if you plan a backyard barbeque soon.
Type of Mosquito in the Area
Did you know there are over 3,000 different species of mosquitos in the world? Each species has different preferences, so you have to consider the species that is causing the problem. Select a mosquito trap that optimizes these conditions and will capture the maximum amount of mosquitos.
Mosquito Trap Placement
The last thing you should consider is the trap placement required to make that particular trap as effective as you need. Wind speeds and directions matter when placing your traps in certain locations. You might want to place several traps in different settings, which ensures more mosquitos are caught.
Most traps are meant for outdoor use only because they use CO2 gas plumes, propane, and other chemicals. If you want to use a trap inside, make sure you find one that specifically states it is for indoor placement! Indoor mosquito traps work well inside a small area, such as an enclosed porch, where they will catch a limited amount of insects. It is a short-term solution, but these traps tend to be cheap, portable and rely on light and heat to trap the mosquitos.
The 5 Best Mosquito Traps Reviews
All five of these traps are great, but our top pick is the Flowtron BK-40W. We love the maintenance-free design that costs pennies to operate. Despite the noisy operation, the Flowtron offers an acre of coverage, making it worth the zaps. Plus, the price isn’t too high.
AMAZON Best Sellers: Best Mosquito Traps
Real Time Updates
- 🔷 TRIPLE TRAPPING POWER: Works best for catching gnats, fruit flies and mosquitoes. The UV light lures them in, the fan won't let them go and the super sticky glue boards make sure they don't escape. Be warned that the Trap is not as effective with house flies - especially with the bigger ones! Other than that KATCHY Black Supernova is the most comprehensive indoor bug trap on the market today!
- 🔷 SAFE FOR THE ENTIRE FAMILY: With no chemicals, no odors, no zapper, and quiet operation, this bug trap is ideal to keep insects away from babies and small children in up to a 320 SQ FT space. While no anti-insect system is going to be 100% effective, the Black Supernova is about as close as you can get in a small package.
- 🔷 TRAP THEM ANYWHERE: Just set up the insect trapper in a visible spot a few feet off the ground, plug it into the wall or USB power source, and let it do the rest. Works well in kitchens, bedrooms, offices, garages, covered porches, and even areas with no electricity such as cabins or other enclosed places. It also doubles as a soothing nightlight!
- 🔷 PRODUCT DETAILS: Works best in a dark and closed room. Rated voltage: 5 V; Rated Power: 5 W; Rated frequency: 60 Hz; Applicable Area/Coverage: 320 SQ FT.
- 🔷 PEACE AND QUIET GUARANTEE: If you don't notice a difference once you deploy the Black Supernova, just contact us within one year for a full refund. Whether you want some peace from insects at home, on the road or on vacation, the versatile, portable, child-safe KATCHY insect trapper is your go-to indoor bug be-gone; add one or two to your cart today and enjoy life without the buzz! Need extra Glue Boards? Use a coupon code GLUEBOARD20 to get -20% off from your first purchase!
- Advanced electronic insect control; non clogging killing grid; 1/2-acre killing radius, requires plug.
- Recommended not to be used within 25-feet of area intended for human activity, should not be attached to house or deck or other structures
- Instantaneous operation, continuous and uninterrupted service, Uses a 15-watt bulb.
- For best results replace the cartridge every 30 days, Please refer User manual for troubleshooting and its corrections
- Recommended for areas up to 1/2 acre - Outdoor Use Only
- Fan Suction Principle: The mosquito will be attracted by LED light, and when they fly to the lamp, the strong suction fan devices equipped in the lamp will suck mosquitoes into the box of the lamp and mosquitoes dehydrated to die. Efficiency to any small flying insects.
- Harmless and Healthy: No chemical, nontoxic, no odor and no radiation. The LED mosquito killer lamp adopts safe and healthy physical way to kill mosquito. Say good bye to traditional and harmful insect repellent and spray. 100% safe for human bodies and pets.
- Easy to Use & Energy-Saving: This mosquito trap can be powered by any USB devices such as computer, laptop, power band, USB adapter and so on (Power Adapter is NOT INCLUDED). 5V working voltage ensures safe to touch and energy-saving.
- Silent Sleep Night: The built-in fan continuously works once powered on. It will not make big noise to disturb your sleep. Rotating the trap box, you can pour out the dead mosquito, very convenient for you. Please don't put this mosquito killer lamp nearby you and keep the room and window closed and people left to let the bug zapper working about 2-3 hours, it will be much better.
- Wide Application: Great for indoor use, such as home, bedroom, living room, kitchen, office, warehouse, hotel, etc. Protects against annoying and disease-carrying flies /insects. Perfect for mosquitoes, small bugs, and other insects. Cute UFO design could also be a decoration of your home. You satisfaction is our No.1 priority. We offer 12 month hassle free warranty. Any questions please feel free to contact with us.
- IDEAL FOR KIDS AND PETS - Our electronic mosquito trapper is 100% safe for humans and pets, as it contains no chemicals, emits no radiation and is entirely non-toxic. Unlike other similar products, you won't have to worry about weird smells or noise, and your kids will have a much healthier environment. This amazing device is entirely safe for the whole family!
- USER FRIENDLY - This practical mosquito trap is extremely easy to use for everybody. It can be connected with any device with an USB port or a regular adapter (not included), while the UV trap lamp which comes with a light-controlled sensor which closes and shuts down during the day and night time, depending on your preferences.
- EASY TO CLEAN - Say goodbye to unhygienic devices that can never be properly cleaned! This state-of-the-art insect zapper comes with a buckle design which removes easily for regular cleansing and washing.
- PORTABLE TO CARRY - This mosquito zapper comes in a practical design, the small dimensions allowing you to carry it anywhere you need it! Its compact shape and 20-40m range of use are excellent in terms of transportability options!
- 24-MONTH WARRANTY - We want you to be fully satisfied by your choice, that's why our product comes with a 24-month warranty that will make sure you enjoy top quality products! If by some reason you are not 100% content, money back no questions asked!
- Environmentally Sound Biological Mosquito Control
- Sprinkle Mosquito Bits to quickly annihilate the larval population; Corn cob granules coated in Bti, the Bits (do not last long but) provide a punch, turning water black with larvae, to a clear pool void of future mosquitoes
- The Mosquito Bits are labeled to control Fungus Gnats in plant beds or pots
- Bits can be sprinkled on the soils surface or mixed with potting soil prior to planting will kill fungus gnat larvae with the same safety and target specific control offered for mosquito larvae
- EPA registered in all 50 states; Bti has no toxicity to people, does not pose a risk to humans and is approved for use for pest control in organic farming operations