The 5 Best Mosquito Traps For Your Yard And Garden – Read This Before Buying
Summer is here, and that means mosquitos are out in full force. To enjoy your time outside, picking the best mosquito trap makes you feel more comfortable and gets rid of those pesky insects. There are dozens of different mosquito traps on the market, and their effectiveness, power, and coverage area all differ.
A swarm of mosquitos can turn any outdoor event into a disaster or turn your dinner outside into misery. While it is hard to control mosquitos, these traps can help you manage the invasion. While we do pick our choice for the best mosquito trap, any of these five choices will serve you well.
What You Should Consider When Buying a Mosquito Trap
First, you should consider the area size you want the trap to cover. You might need more than one trap to cover your property. Determining area size also means you should look at their breeding sites and locations.
Most mosquito traps work best in a small area, which means some are not designed for a large, heavily infested backyard. To cover that area, you will need more traps to ensure you capture all of those pesky insects. Make sure you read the description of the trap and look at the manufacturer’s recommended area of coverage. Some traps claim to cover around 1.5 acres, and others only cover the area of a small patio.
Are there any safety hazards you should worry about if you place this trap in your yard? Traps that use propane generate CO2, heat, and moisture to attract the mosquitos to the treat. Propane does pose a fire hazard, so appropriate steps must be taken to negate these hazards. If you have children running around on your property, traps that don’t rely on propane have a lower safety concern.
Everyone considers the initial purchase cost of an item, but you have to consider the price to keep the trap running when you buy a mosquito trap. Some traps use propane tanks, and some could finish a tank in three to four weeks. Purchasing refills can be costly!
The other option is an electronic trap. These mosquito traps are cheaper to maintain and use, and most operate on a 12-volt system that uses less electricity than a standard light bulb in a lamp. Another great feature that reduces running cost is a programmable timer. These timers activate the trap during the peak mosquito hours throughout the day.
How soon does the trap start to work once you set it up in the right area? Some start working immediately, but that doesn’t mean they will trap all of the mosquitoes without hours or days. Most traps take six to eight weeks of continuous use to decrease the mosquito population in the area dramatically. Knowing this allows you to plan appropriately when to start using the trap, such as if you plan a backyard barbeque soon.
Type of Mosquito in the Area
Did you know there are over 3,000 different species of mosquitos in the world? Each species has different preferences, so you have to consider the species that is causing the problem. Select a mosquito trap that optimizes these conditions and will capture the maximum amount of mosquitos.
Mosquito Trap Placement
The last thing you should consider is the trap placement required to make that particular trap as effective as you need. Wind speeds and directions matter when placing your traps in certain locations. You might want to place several traps in different settings, which ensures more mosquitos are caught.
Most traps are meant for outdoor use only because they use CO2 gas plumes, propane, and other chemicals. If you want to use a trap inside, make sure you find one that specifically states it is for indoor placement! Indoor mosquito traps work well inside a small area, such as an enclosed porch, where they will catch a limited amount of insects. It is a short-term solution, but these traps tend to be cheap, portable and rely on light and heat to trap the mosquitos.
The 5 Best Mosquito Traps Reviews
All five of these traps are great, but our top pick is the Flowtron BK-40W. We love the maintenance-free design that costs pennies to operate. Despite the noisy operation, the Flowtron offers an acre of coverage, making it worth the zaps. Plus, the price isn’t too high.
AMAZON Best Sellers: Best Mosquito Traps
Real Time Updates
- Advanced electronic insect control; non clogging killing grid; 1/2-acre killing radius, requires plug.
- Recommended not to be used within 25-feet of area intended for human activity, should not be attached to house or deck or other structures
- Instantaneous operation, continuous and uninterrupted service, Uses a 15-watt bulb.
- For best results replace the cartridge every 30 days, Please refer User manual for troubleshooting and its corrections
- Recommended for areas up to 1/2 acre - Outdoor Use Only
- Protects up to 1/2 Acre
- Durable all-weather construction.
- Pesticide and odor free.
- Whisper quiet operation.
- No zapping or buzzing. No expensive attractant or propane required.
- Silent trap emits carbon dioxide, heat and moisture to attract and capture mosquitoes and other biting insects like midges, black flies and no-see-ums
- Coverage area up to 1-acre - Outdoor use only
- Plug-in trap starts working immediately and you see results in 7 to 10 days
- Operate the odorless trap continuously to break mosquitoes breeding cycle
- Note: propane tank is not included
- EFFECTIVE & POWERFUL - The Hoont Mosquito Killer Trap features a bright UV bulb which flies find irresistible, and get attracted to the fly trap; the fan then sucks the flies inside and prevents them from escaping. The Hoont Mosquito Killer and Fly Trap Killer powerfully attracts and traps mosquitoes, flies, gnats, flies, wasps, beetles and much more.
- NO CHEMICALS, NO PESTICIDES & ODOR FREE - Get rid of all flying insects and bugs without the use of pesticides or dangerous chemicals. Maintenance free and easy to use mosquito killer and Fly Killer; simply plug in the fly trap and watch your area become free of all pesky and annoying flies.
- QUIET OPERATION & SAFE - The Hoont Mosquito killer and Gnat Fly Trap is extremely safe and hygiene. No high-voltage electric and no zapping sounds; eliminates flies quietly and safely. Safe to use 24/7 and may be used at areas with kids and pets. Features and optional stand to enlarge its' effective area by keeping it elevated. Made with quality components; will last for many years to come!
- WEATHERPROOF & WATERPROOF - Perfect for indoors or outdoors. Can be used at home, office, kitchens, restaurants, schools, etc. For residential, commercial and industrial use. Perfect also for gardens, yards, pool area, etc. Effective for areas of up to 1000 sq. feet!
- EASY TO CLEAN - The Hoont Mosquito Killer and Fly Trap is simple to clean; dead flies get trapped in a neat hidden tray located at the bottom of the device. To clean, simply remove the tray and wash with warm water; let it air-dry and it's ready for its next fly catching session. Simple, effective and clean! / Size: 19" x 11" / Wire length: 5 Ft. / Low energy consumption. / Bulb: Bright UV Bulb (Replaceable)
- A Bigger Design For A Bigger Catch. This Dynatrap Insect Trap Attracts And Kills Mosquitos
- And Other Flying Insects Across 1 Acre. Attract; Trap And Kill Flying Insects Including
- Mosquitos; Biting Flies; Asian Beetles; Wasps; Hornets; Yellow Jackets; Moths; Stink Bugs
- And More! This Insect Trap Is Engineered For 3-way Protection. First; A UV Fluorescent Bulb
- Generates A Warm Light; Attracting Insects. Then A Second Lure; An Exclusive Ti02 Titani