How To Get The Best Retractable Hose Reel – Reviews And Buying Guide 2018
If you’re a homeowner and own a gardening hose, chances are you’re tired of constantly having to bring it outside to use it and then having to pack it up for storage. What’s your alternative? To just leave it outside, stretched out across your lawn? Not really, because hoses tend to crack in the sun. You could consider getting a retractable hose reel, though.
We’re here to help you pick out the best retractable hose reel for your household’s needs.
Things You Should Know Before Buying Automatic Garden Hose Reel Or Auto Rewind Garden Hose Reel
If you’re aware that retractable hose reels cost significantly more than the semi-manual and manual reels, you might be wondering: Why don’t I just choose the cheaper option? Because in the long run, a unit that automatically rewinds will save you a lot of effort and time – you won’t have to do anything manually.
Consider the length of the hose
We’re sure you’re well aware that you need to take the size of your yard into account when deciding on the length of the hose. They come in a wide range of lengths, but you need to remember that getting a longer one means paying more. Also, the longer the hose, the higher the chances are of getting lower water pressure coming out at the end.
Important Advice: Locate the tap you plan to use as a water source for your hose; preferably, it should be one where you can also mount the retractable hose reel on the wall. To determine the length you’ll need, measure the distance from the spigot to the farthest point of your property and get a hose that is just a bit longer than that – this will make sure you don’t need to pull on the hose and risk damaging it that way.
Good To Know: One of the advantages of retractable hose reels is that most of them are made to be mounted on the wall, and as we said earlier, to make the use of the hose easier, you should install it as near to a tap as possible.
How fast does it retract?
A feature you should look for in a retractable hose is a slow rewind. Most of these are spring-loaded models, so once you trigger the retracting mechanism, it will begin to retract to the housing; opt for a model that will rewind slowly, and not snap right back.
Take Notice: If you don’t take care of your retractable hose, the spring mechanism might break, and your retractable hose might not retract anymore. That can happen if you pull on the hose even when you’ve reached the limit – that’s why you need to take the size of your yard into account before making a purchase.
Does it have a stopper?
Another feature you’ll find to be useful is the hose stopper – it will stop the tube from retracting back into the housing entirely. That way, when you hit the rewind mechanism, the hose will retract up to a certain point set by you.
5 Best Automatic Hose Reel Or Self Winding Garden Hose Reel Reviews
A Popular, Budget-Friendly Option
If you’ve ever had a discussion with a neighbor about retractable hose reels and which one you should get, the name RL Flo-Master 65HR8 probably popped up at some point. It’s no wonder though because it has all the qualities we’ve previously mentioned.
This retractable hose reel has a slow rewind and, on top of that, it is equipped with a stopper, too. Because of the sturdy bracket, the unit is mountable; a huge plus is that the bracket allows you to remove the hose reel and there’s even a handle for easier transportation.
There have been some complaints that the reel stops retracting entirely after a while or that it just has some issues with pulling in the last couple of feet.
With all its features, this model is the go-to option for a lot of households out there. If you’re a homeowner with a yard that can easily be covered by a 65 feet long hose, then you should probably stop looking any further.
What We Like
What We Don't Like
The Most Expensive Model On The List
When it comes to Gardena’s retractable hose reel, one thing’s for sure – it’s the most expensive model on our list. It’s clear that we’re dealing with a well-built unit; even though it’s plastic and lightweight (compared to some other models on the list), it still leaves you with the impression that it’s rather sturdy and durable.
There are two downsides to this model; the first one is its price, which isn’t budget-friendly at all, and the other one is the fact that you’ll need to get mounting hardware on your own because the package doesn’t include it.
All in all, we would recommend this retractable hose to those who are not afraid of spending a bit more money on a gardening hose – if your budget allows it, go for this model. Also, the length is something to keep in mind; those of you with bigger yards will appreciate the 82 feet long hose.
What We Like
What We Don't Like
Easily Lengthened And Easily Locked
Another rather popular choice when it comes to retractable hoses, the Hoselink’s model is equipped with some great features, the most important being the locking and rewind mechanisms. For starters, the locking mechanism is known as the “stop-anywhere,” which means the hose is not only easily lengthened, but it also stays at the desired length for as long as you need it.
The automatic retraction system is activated by lightly pulling the hose. Also, the unit is easily mountable, and the bracket allows you to rotate the unit by 180 degrees.
What We Like
What We Don't Like
Now it’s time to pronounce the winner and name the best retractable hose available on the market. We’re sure you’ve probably realized by now that all of the products we’ve picked out have their qualities and reasons to be on our list. However, there can only be one winner - the RL Flo-Master 65HR8 Retractable Hose Reel with 8 Spray Pattern Nozzle. It has all the features we deem necessary in a retractable hose.
AMAZON Best Sellers: Best Retractable Hose Reels
Real Time Updates
- With a short pull on the hose, the lock releases and the hose is drawn into the box-no bending over or cranking
- An integrated steel spring provides even, powerful retraction; The integrated hose guide prevents twisting and tangling of the hose
- Includes a Hose Guide bracket to mount on wall or corner mount; Nozzles, sprayers and wash brushes can be stored on the wall bracket, ready for use
- In winter, the Hose Box can be taken by the ergonomically-shaped handle and effortlessly removed from the wall bracket for frost-protected storage
- Hose diameter single 13 mm. Wall bracket, screws, wall plugs are all included
- Complete watering solution with smooth pull out and rewind function
- Includes Hoselink no-leak, easy-connect hose fittings
- 82ft of reinforced 9/16" hose with high quality brass threaded ends
- Metal 7-Function Spray Gun
- Includes 180-degree swivel wall bracket and hardware set
- BEST FEATURES IN THE MARKET: It comes with a full retractable, slow return system, 50 ft, 5/8-inch hose, which supports up to 500 maximum PSI. It is in average 50% more than any competitor's maximum PSI in the market, which allows you to tackle a wide variety of projects. Our heavy-duty twist collar and top-quality brass fittings assign the product the best possible features in the whole market.
- THERE IS MORE - WE HAVE THE BEST PRODUCT (GUARANTEED): The auto-retract hose keeps excess hose out of work space and locks it in place at different intervals. The mounting brackets allow a 180-degree swivel (mounting hardware included), so you can place it on wall or ceiling. We decided to make the best possible full retractable hose, therefore we made it with a 3 layer-hybrid material. Unbeatable product durability!
- YOU'LL BE A PART OF OUR FAMILY! We're not just any old company, we are a family. Providing the absolute best customer service is the cornerstone of our business and we promise to treat you like you are part of our family. We're located in Orlando, Florida, and love hearing from our customers. Your contact will be made directly with the owners of the company and we will respond to all questions, doubts and complaints. We guarantee that!
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED OR YOUR MONEY BACK: for us, it is straight forward: if you, by any chance, do not like our products, please feel free to return them and we will refund you. You can do that anytime and we promise no hassle at all. We want your purchase experience with us to be as smooth as possible. No questions asked.
- Slow, retractable spring-loaded hose with stopper
- Automatic guide prevents the hose from overlapping while retracting
- Mounting brackets allow for 180 degree swivel; mounting hardware included
- Unit can be removed from bracket and includes a carrying handle
- 65' of reinforced 5/8" hose, with threaded brass end
- Auto retract/latch hose keeps excess hose out of work space and locks hose in place at varying intervals. Use the 2-1/2 foot leader to connect the hose to an air compressor
- Includes 50 foot hose 3/8 inch hose ID. 300 maximum PSI to tackle a variety of projects. PVC hose made of corrosion-resistant materials to deliver long life
- Swivel mounting bracket pivots and can be mounted on wall or ceiling. Non-marring, abrasion-resistant PVC (Polyvinyl chloride) cover for heavy-duty use
- Comes with crack-resistant, mountable case which provides both durability and work-site convenience. Handles temperatures from 35 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit
- Finish your projects faster and easier with Campbell Hausfeld. The Air Power Expert.